Questions about 2 Engine Application

bphillip2

Re: Questions about 2 Engine Application

Post by bphillip2 » June 18th, 2012, 7:26 am

Given a choice between 30hp per cylinder and 15hp per cylinder I would choose the later. If you were building an earth compactor I'd say go with the Harley.

I'd also lay my bets on the geo for reliability as the Harley can't be driven at full throttle for an period without killing the rider.

What Scout has an Ivo prop? The 9 blade hub is compatible.

Sandman1

Post by Sandman1 » June 18th, 2012, 8:02 pm

I am going to use a Geo or maybe Aveo ( newer tiny Chevy built by Deawoo ). I agree the vibration at idle would be a problem. Plus my son got the hog out and washed it for Father's Day. i don't think i could bring myself to disassemble it and rip out it's heart.
Thanks for the in put from everyone.

beezer

Post by beezer » September 27th, 2013, 12:35 am

not only the "normal" vibes, but the power pulses. they develop harmonics that have a real tendency to want to shuck the drive belts off. I built a Scout with a 19hp single & could never get the vibes down to a decent level... even balancing the prop & fan with a Chadwick (used to balance helicopter rotors). it needed extra touch bars to keep the belt on... man that belt could really whip around. I read in the plans that a big single was not advisable, but figured I could balance it because of access to the Chadwick. ya, but the power pulses... nothing you can do about that. ran it a year then traded the single for a Briggs opposed flathead twin & now shes smooth. funny thing is, the big single was fine on the donor tractor I got the twin out of

bandit1538

Post by bandit1538 » September 28th, 2013, 8:34 am

I had the same problem on my Scout with a 25hp Intec, I had to put a touch bar on one side for idle vibration and one on the other side for high speed vibration, now it works fine but last year I tried a "B" belt and couldn't keep the belt on and it ended up taking out one of the lift fan blades.
The belt being fatter was resisting the twist to the idler pulleys and would jump off no matter what I did, I ended up having to be towed 2 miles back to the camp ground.
Pat
If it aint broke, don't fix it.