1.3L Geoduck

AusHover

1.3L Geoduck

Post by AusHover » June 5th, 2015, 11:42 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any specs or a graph for the 1.3L Geoduck like on http://www.hovercruiser.org.uk/sev/sevt ... ls/geoduck which is only for the 1.0L

Looking mainly for an estimated speed. I'm trying to decide which model (Surveyor, Geoduck or Prospector) I should build. Also, any idea of the noise level between these three?

Cheers,

Scott

eccinoz

Re: 1.3L Geoduck

Post by eccinoz » June 6th, 2015, 3:23 am

Are you a member of Hoverclub UK? This is the club started by John Robertson of Hovercruiser,,,NOT, HCGB!. On their site, for full members, are 2 Hovercraft Performance Calculators. These will show the graph your're asking about when you enter the required information. Not expensive & a great bunch of blokes who like a chat & most have a lot of experience & are happy to help. Good luck

AJW

Post by AJW » June 6th, 2015, 8:37 am

Here is the web address:

Membership is £15 Per annum.

http://hoverclub.org.uk/

jchovernut

Post by jchovernut » June 7th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Somewhere in my piles, I have pics I took of the whiteboard Jeron Smith was writing on during Sun-n-Fun a few years ago; he had drawn HP & Torque graphs for the 1.0 & 1.3 Geo/Suzuki engines. You can see some of the info and get the conversion manual at http://www.raven-rotor.com/ He's done tons of conversions. Another good resource is Vassili over at Air Trikes in Montreal...I keep meaning to visit his shop when I'm up there at my girlfriend's: http://www.airtrikes.net/engines.shtml
The G13BB should take the Geoduck into the 40mph arena. More importantly, it'll afford more payload over the hump, and better low-speed maneuvering. More power to push against the wind, too.

I was going to put a G13BB on my 18' Prospector, but I've decided to go for the Honda Fit engine, the L15A7. It's fuel injected and all alloy, like the G13BB, but with a few more horses. I may turbocharge it in order to attain sea level HP at higher altitudes. I can also use the horses to push my way through the taller sawgrass here in the FL swamp. The homebuilt aircraft market has slowly been migrating away from the Soobs, and even the Geo/Suzuki towards the Honda Fit, so there's a large pool of users out there to draw knowledge from. Zillions of parts still available, too!

John Carter
www.hovernut.com
John Carter
SEVs: Vanguard, FanTastic, Prospector, Explorer
Others: StarCruiser, UH-18P, RX2000
http://www.hovernut.com

AusHover

Post by AusHover » June 13th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Thanks for your input guys.

I'm really tossing up between the Geoduck and Prospector (and to a lesser of an extent the Surveyor). I was looking at the G13BB and have seen both those sites - now I'll have to also check the fit/jazz engine.

I want speed, reliability and lowest noise. I was also thinking of doing a 2.5% multiplier making it 8.2' x 18.45' (2.5m being the max trailerable width here)

AJW

Post by AJW » June 14th, 2015, 1:07 am

If you are looking at increasing the size, why not look at the explorer? In monetary terms not a great deal of difference between any of the models. Labour wise then Explorer & prospector will take longer to build than a geoduck or surveyor.

AusHover

Post by AusHover » June 14th, 2015, 10:20 pm

jchovernut wrote:I've decided to go for the Honda Fit engine, the L15A7. It's fuel injected and all alloy, like the G13BB, but with a few more horses ... John Carter http://www.hovernut.com
Hi John,

Thanks for the info about the Fit engine - there are plenty available and at a cheaper price than the G13BB, as well as being much newer and far lower mileage.

Been doing a bit of reading/researching on forums and various pages but cant really find any weights and pros/cons between the L10/12/13/15A which I'd rather use on the Geoduck over the Prospector as I'd like to keep the frontal and side form drag and areas as low as practical.

Why did you go with the L15A7 over others?

Guys, would i be right in saying we want our useable torque and power fairly flat and under 3,500 RPM?

If this is a good option, I'll go down this route and everyone can learn from my troubles and successes.

Cheers,

Scott

Jeff

Post by Jeff » June 29th, 2015, 8:26 pm

AusHover wrote:Hi,

Just wondering if there are any specs or a graph for the 1.3L Geoduck like on http://www.hovercruiser.org.uk/sev/sevt ... ls/geoduck which is only for the 1.0L

Looking mainly for an estimated speed. I'm trying to decide which model (Surveyor, Geoduck or Prospector) I should build. Also, any idea of the noise level between these three?

Cheers,

Scott
The only spec i don't have is speed but some of this might help others pick a power plant.

The 1.3 liter at 4200 rpm or so I saw on the plans. That would only Make 55hp. There are another 15 hp in going to 5500 rpm. I realize that the plans are trying to keep the belt speed down. Over the years I have found that the belt speeds we read about are based on electric motors and instant full power. I have all ways run at 3.66 to 1 ratio to swing a big stick as slow as i could for thrust. My point is that a 1.0 liter with a weber will make more than 55hp and is smaller. Also if your going to build a 4 cylinder get a 1.6 liter block for virtually the same weight and get the other virtually free hp there.

Here are the dyno specs i use in the shop on the suzuki's
1.0 liter at 55 rpm 55 hp with a vw bug or stock TBI on it.
1.3 8 valve 70 hp 5500
1.3 16 valve 80 hp 5500
1.3 dohc 100 hp at 8500 rpm
1.6 8 valve 80 hp 5500
1.6 16 valve 94 hp 5500 100hp at 6200 rpm

You can pick up about 3 to 7 hp on these engines depending on there liter size by cutting off 1 MM from the head and still run pump gas close to 8 degrees of timing maybe 10 if the cooling is really good.
There can be about 10 hp just in adding a two barrel weber 36/34 progressive just on a 1.0 liter over the VW pict 32 carb or stock TBI. The engine is even better with a carb per cylinder like the beetle carb or motorcycle carbs.

I find it better to build the 1.0 up to get the 1.3 power of the 8 valve instead of using the 1.3 liter itself. its a odd engine in the suzuki line up and always should be passed to go to the 1.6 liter as the weigh virtually the same and fit in the same place.

All Geo except the 1.0 lietr can share the same head. you must run the pistons that go with the head. So don't swap a 8 valve head with a 16 valve block unless your going to swap in the 8 valve pistons to match the valve clearances on the piston tops that have reliefs in them for said head. . Then if you need more HP go right to a 1.6 liter.

If 80 hp or less works for you use the 1.6 8 valve head. you can buy the distributor intake off a pre 89 samurai and get a vacuum advance dist plus the carbed intake which you can adapt to the weber. You wont need the ecm just a MSD 6A ignition box to run the distributor. simple two wire hook up and power to key ground and fuse. for you salt water people.

Of course you can build even more power with other performance mods but this should help you get close to what you really need. Headers etc can get a bit more.

On suzuki engines 150 psi is warn out. 180 psi with no oil consumption at all (ever) is new. Its not like your old VW bug or chevy that works with 125lbs of compression and 150 would be amazing. 200 psi with a custom head. if your 15 to 25 percent off what you should have that's just a motor that is down 15 to 25% ON FUEL ECONOMY AND POWER. Bore it and install fresh pistons do not re ring it you will never get the other compression back it will always be 150 and use oil at best.

hope this helps with some ideas.