Brake Flap Aluminium Strips

Ian Speakman

Brake Flap Aluminium Strips

Post by Ian Speakman »

I hope that someone can clarify something for me. On the plans (DWG8) the 1/8 x 3/4 aluminium strip is fitted to the front of the flap and covered with a strip of skirt material. I would have thought that the back of the flap would have made for a neater job and a better seal when the brake closes.

Is there a specific reason why the plans state the front or can I change to the rear of the flap without any issues?

Ian
Building a hovercraft, one mistake at a time.......
bandit1538

Re: Brake Flap Aluminium Strips

Post by bandit1538 »

Ian Speakman wrote:I hope that someone can clarify something for me. On the plans (DWG8) the 1/8 x 3/4 aluminium strip is fitted to the front of the flap and covered with a strip of skirt material. I would have thought that the back of the flap would have made for a neater job and a better seal when the brake closes.

Is there a specific reason why the plans state the front or can I change to the rear of the flap without any issues?

Ian
On my Scout I totally enclosed the plate with skirt material and it works fine. If it's just on the back it may tend to pull loose, it's less likely to pull loose on the front but if you put it on both sides you should never have to worry about it.
Pat
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Ian Speakman

Post by Ian Speakman »

Thanks Pat, good advice.
Building a hovercraft, one mistake at a time.......
bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 »

I have always put the aluminum piece on the inside, enclosed in a skirt material strip. I then make a rope attach point with 2 layers of fabric, 0.75x2 long, with a fold in the middle to pass the rope through. I then rivet through the entire affair to make sure it stays put.

Bryan