lift fan pitch

petroni

lift fan pitch

Post by petroni »

Hello,
Just picked up a used prospector and noted the lift fan pitch was not equal on all blades. What pitch is standard for this model? 20 or 25 or something in between?
Thanks
jchovernut

Re: lift fan pitch

Post by jchovernut »

Hi,
Which used Prospector did you pick up? There were a few out there for sale...Prince Rupert, BC, Wasilla, AK, Central Tennessee, & I think Oregon. If you let us know which one it is and who the builder is, we might collectively have some history on its performance to give you a head start on getting it going.

As far as fan pitch goes, if they're the standard _PAIR_ of MultiWings, I believe they're set to 25 degrees. I don't have my manual with me, so hopefully Bryan can chime in and confirm or correct.

John Carter

ps...Where are you located? Chances are one of us might be near you for a chat or get-together! I'm in the Orlando, FL area and have the following:
18' Prospector 50% new construction
15' Fan-Tastic paint/body rebuild...85%
14' Vanguard rebuild...80%
16' Weber StarCruiser rebuild...not started yet
John Carter
SEVs: Vanguard, FanTastic, Prospector, Explorer
Others: StarCruiser, UH-18P, RX2000
http://www.hovernut.com
petroni

Post by petroni »

Hi John,
I picked up the one in Wasilla AK which was originally from Oregon. Im new to the hovercraft world and after taking a spin on a friends scratch built aluminum craft i was hooked.
I have talked to the previous two owners and from what i could tell it sounded like it had plenty of thrust, not enough lift. I couldnt really determine the original pitch as there were no pins installed and most of the blades were in different positions. They are the standard multiwing fans, no pins and at the moment i have them at 22.5.
I am having the engine output drive replaced (refabricated locally) as it is too damaged to obtain a reliable runout. Basically i plan on getting it running to prioritize the machines overhaul over the winter.
Rick
bandit1538

Post by bandit1538 »

jchovernut wrote:Hi,
Which used Prospector did you pick up? There were a few out there for sale...Prince Rupert, BC, Wasilla, AK, Central Tennessee, & I think Oregon. If you let us know which one it is and who the builder is, we might collectively have some history on its performance to give you a head start on getting it going.

As far as fan pitch goes, if they're the standard _PAIR_ of MultiWings, I believe they're set to 25 degrees. I don't have my manual with me, so hopefully Bryan can chime in and confirm or correct.

John Carter

ps...Where are you located? Chances are one of us might be near you for a chat or get-together! I'm in the Orlando, FL area and have the following:
18' Prospector 50% new construction
15' Fan-Tastic paint/body rebuild...85%
14' Vanguard rebuild...80%
16' Weber StarCruiser rebuild...not started yet
Got any that are running? Sounds like you have too many pokers in the fire. ;)
Pat
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
petroni

Post by petroni »

by the way this Prospector was built by D. Woodley, is he still around?
jchovernut

Post by jchovernut »

Are you in the Wasilla/Anchorage area? I was wondering if you ever went by the US Hovercraft facility over on Cook Inlet? Wondering if those guys are still around as there is very little activity on their website as of late? There's a molded AM-14 Vanguard kit going together up in Wasilla, maybe Dan will chime in here and you guys can get together. What was the aluminum craft you mentioned?

You can get a digital pitch guage/level from a hardware store to check fan/prop blades. Some smartphones have apps that perform that function, too. I leveled an IMAX camera on a steam train a couple years ago on a shoot in the Canadian Rockies with my iPhone and a level app!

Pat, how'd the hover-in go? As for my hover-yard, I'll soon have all the time in the world to address that as Delta is shutting down my airline, Comair at the end of September! Funny, I'll have the time, but the money will be gone... At least I have most of the materials to finish off the Vanguard and Fan-Tastic. The Weber SC4 will only take some paint & glass that I probably already have on hand, but the Prospector still needs an engine and all the metal work to fabricate, as well as the topside decking and engine bay. If I get a local turboprop job here in Central Florida, I may have time AND money to complete, otherwise, I'll see how far my Obama money will take me ;)

John Carter
...soon to be out of work airline pilot...
John Carter
bandit1538

Post by bandit1538 »

jchovernut wrote:Are you in the Wasilla/Anchorage area? I was wondering if you ever went by the US Hovercraft facility over on Cook Inlet? Wondering if those guys are still around as there is very little activity on their website as of late? There's a molded AM-14 Vanguard kit going together up in Wasilla, maybe Dan will chime in here and you guys can get together. What was the aluminum craft you mentioned?

You can get a digital pitch guage/level from a hardware store to check fan/prop blades. Some smartphones have apps that perform that function, too. I leveled an IMAX camera on a steam train a couple years ago on a shoot in the Canadian Rockies with my iPhone and a level app!

Pat, how'd the hover-in go? As for my hover-yard, I'll soon have all the time in the world to address that as Delta is shutting down my airline, Comair at the end of September! Funny, I'll have the time, but the money will be gone... At least I have most of the materials to finish off the Vanguard and Fan-Tastic. The Weber SC4 will only take some paint & glass that I probably already have on hand, but the Prospector still needs an engine and all the metal work to fabricate, as well as the topside decking and engine bay. If I get a local turboprop job here in Central Florida, I may have time AND money to complete, otherwise, I'll see how far my Obama money will take me ;)

John Carter
Well there was only 2, mine and a Scat plus 2 motorized kayaks, last year I had problems with my "A" belt slipping when it got wet so this year I bought a "B" belt and had trouble with it jumping off even after adjusting it until on Saturday afternoon it jumped off taking out one of the lift fan blades and cutting the $35 belt into so it looks like I'll go back to the A belt and have to build some splash guards to keep the water spray off.
Pat
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
petroni

Post by petroni »

I'm in Anchorage with the used Prospector, a coworker built his out of aluminum over the winter in Anchorage, its a Geoduck/Vanguard hybrid.
He just got back from an Arctic circle hunting trip and it worked very well. He made it out of aluminum for damage tolerance as he was using his craft as a tool. He gained a lot of experience with damage and I hope to selectively apply some of the protection to the composite Prospector as without, a composite hull would not hold up to the abuse.
As for Pitch it looks like I need mine at 25, I found a good measurement area that will give repeatable results and it came down to 1.7 is 20, 1.8 is 25, and 1.9 is 30. Eventually I will get some pics and post the procedure. Best thing is that a simple gauge can be derived from it for checking/setting in the field.
As for the US hovercraft I don't know.
jchovernut wrote:Are you in the Wasilla/Anchorage area? I was wondering if you ever went by the US Hovercraft facility over on Cook Inlet? Wondering if those guys are still around as there is very little activity on their website as of late? There's a molded AM-14 Vanguard kit going together up in Wasilla, maybe Dan will chime in here and you guys can get together. What was the aluminum craft you mentioned?

John Carter
jchovernut

Post by jchovernut »

I'd be interested to hear more about the Aluminum craft...any pics around? Is he using the Geo powerplant?
Ahh, yes, the good ole' aluminum vs composite durability subject crops up once again ;) Believe me, a composite craft built out of CoreCell is pretty dang bulletproof, easily repaired if need be, and lightweight and easy to go together.

Please ask your friend to chime in on the forum and tell the tale of his high-Arctic hunting expedition! The guys in Wasilla building the molded Surveyor will be using it for Moose hunting.

Cheers,
John Carter
John Carter
WerkSpace

Post by WerkSpace »

My absolute favorite hovercraft video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8015N9yHHQM
Aluminum seems to work well in the north.
jchovernut wrote:I'd be interested to hear more about the Aluminum craft...any pics around? Is he using the Geo powerplant?
Ahh, yes, the good ole' aluminum vs composite durability subject crops up once again ;) Believe me, a composite craft built out of CoreCell is pretty dang bulletproof, easily repaired if need be, and lightweight and easy to go together.

Please ask your friend to chime in on the forum and tell the tale of his high-Arctic hunting expedition! The guys in Wasilla building the molded Surveyor will be using it for Moose hunting.

Cheers,
John Carter