would like to make some modifications

dazza0101

Re: would like to make some modifications

Post by dazza0101 »

Well there you go perfect solution 8-) electric boat prop mountain in the lift duct, it can all be controlled remotely, i'm very familiar with electronics and motion control, i built a fairly large wood router cnc machine which is pretty handy, can you foresee any problems with that guys? I bought the plans so they're on their way, i'm much happier now i can build it to the plans and it will do all that i want with very little modification :D I did mention i have a large wood router cnc didn't I ;) it's actually big enough to make a very large propeller 3 blades, I have been doing a lot of research on that as well still not sure if i'm capable yet . I'm also in the process of making a metal lathe, I can make the timing pulleys and hubs. I'm a real do it yourself guy if you haven't notice :D Thanks guys such a wealth of knowledge.
bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 »

"electric boat prop mountain in the lift duct"? Say what?
dazza0101

Post by dazza0101 »

electric outboard motor, just the bottom half.
beezer

Post by beezer »

soooooo...... you're going to make a variable pitch lift fan?
dazza0101

Post by dazza0101 »

Sorry guys i didn't really explain my idea very well :oops: Actually its not my idea it was mentioned in a previous post to use a trolling motor, electric outboard I know them as. My first thought was it could be mounted in the lift duct to be lowered in to the water to propel the craft, this could safely get me from the boat ramp through the narrow creeks to open water, I think that would be a nice solution to have it integrated into the craft. At the very least i could mount it at the back of the craft and that would do just fine :D
John Robertson

Post by John Robertson »

Tried that - with limited success on a smaller craft (16ft)

Also tested an electric o/b. Issues were controllability (flat bottom boat with bow skirt drag made it very difficult to maintain directional control in even mild chop or wind), low efficiency (top speed on flat water, no wind about 3mph even with a 5HP outboard thrashing away). It was easier/quieter to leave the hover engine just above idle (off cushion) and chug along using the rudders to steer!
Hovercraft Cruising Club (HoverClub)
Hovering videos
Explore-based HoverCamper and HovTek Otter (a Sev inspired design)
beezer

Post by beezer »

once you learn to drive this design you can negotiate creeks that are only as wide as the fan cage at speeds that are little more than walking speed. adding a trolling motor sounds like adding dead weight to me. obviously it would also have to retract, otherwise it will compromise the utility of the craft. I surely wouldn't change the design to solve a problem that you don't yet have.