would like to make some modifications

dazza0101

would like to make some modifications

Post by dazza0101 »

Hello to all, i've been searching for quite some time for hovercraft plans that will suit my needs, i'm pretty sure the Prospector is going to be it. I'm planning on doing it once and doin it right, doing it right part might be difficult as i would like to make some major modifications, ok 2.2 subaru efi engine that one's not such a biggie, a single larger lift fan and narrow in the enclosure. Add 2 smaller enclosed propellers instead of the large one. Any advice and guidance is greatly appreciated thank you.
John Robertson

Re: would like to make some modifications

Post by John Robertson »

So you don't really want to build a Prospector at all then (different size + different engine + different drive system = different craft design)? ;)
Maybe best option is to look through the plansets available and find something that's a better match for your needs :)
Hovercraft Cruising Club (HoverClub)
Hovering videos
Explore-based HoverCamper and HovTek Otter (a Sev inspired design)
dazza0101

Post by dazza0101 »

It's not going to get anyone upset i hope :shock: Who knows i do all the modifications and testing and it performs well, it might suit someone else in the world with various trains to negotiate, sevter might end up with another plan set to sell, who knows they might even call it the (dazza0101) :D
bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 »

2.2l Subaru is too heavy for that size. Remember the North to Alaska Explorer I built had a 1.4L. The design originally called for two 60" props, but Barry simplified the design with one 84".

One fan on that engine does not work.

Ducts are a real pain with little positive attributes.

What do you want this craft to do?
dazza0101

Post by dazza0101 »

Thank you for your reply bphillip2
I just done some research and watch some videos on the North to Alaska Explore. I must say that is very impressive, if that's not enough to convince me to stick to the plans nothing will. I want it mostly for fishing camping and taking the family on cruising trips, and accessing areas that can't be by boat there is a lot around here. The downside is there's a lot of fairlie narrow creek with overhanging mangroves, and the best place to put the pots in for mud crabs is in these areas. Safety for myself and passing boats is a concern, and a lot of the boat ramps are in these narrow creek to access open water. My way of thinking in trying to make these modifications is that if it reduces the forward thrust and payload capacity of say 20% l would still be very happy.
dazza0101

Post by dazza0101 »

bphillip2, so you looked at the idea of using two propellers, you got me curious. how do you think the prospector would perform with two ducted 44 inch propellers, if that was all the mods i made. i'm quite happy to sacrifice some forward thrust :D
eccinoz

Post by eccinoz »

Sounds like a Surveyor is what you need. ;)
beezer

Post by beezer »

since the propeller diameter seems to be one of the big stumbling points, I would start there. what props are out there that would give decent thrust at smaller diameters, and what RPMs would you have to run it at. then you can better judge what hull design to use. the Surveyor is a pretty good machine. I regularly carry 6-700 pound loads with ease & close to 1000 pounds if there is no wind to fight. pretty much stock Surveyor with the 25 Kohler.
jchovernut

Post by jchovernut »

If you want to see a miserable-running Prospector with a smaller ducted thruster and a single lift fan, search youtube for "Hoverdood"
A 75" PowerFin prop on the Prospector would fit well within the hard hull structure width of the craft. You could guard the entire swept area like John Robertson, or you could go with the updated 3/4 guard that Bryan is making for the 40HP Vanguard/Surveyor. The carbon fiber PowerFin prop blades Bryan is manufacturing are pretty strong and could possibly withstand minor mangrove trimming ;) Getting into the weeds and such, you might consider using a trolling motor.

Another option might be the Geoduck with the 40HP Carbon-90 drive setup. That would get you a mess of payload and cockpit area!!

John Carter
John Carter
SEVs: Vanguard, FanTastic, Prospector, Explorer
Others: StarCruiser, UH-18P, RX2000
http://www.hovernut.com
bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 »

While there are certainly differences in aerodynamic quality of one make of propeller versus another, disk loading is the controlling factor though and other factors to a lesser extent, like lift coefficient. As an example the Ultra Prop used on the original Vanguard and Scout breaks many rules on what a good prop is supposed to look like, no twist and is made from a flexible material. But tests have shown that it provided some of the most efficient prop systems that Sevtec ever used(thrust per hp), over 9 lbs. In contrast I see finely craft swept tip carbon fiber air-boat props advertised with staggeringly low installed efficiency, 2.3 lbs per hp! These use 84" props with 500+ hp. The 22 TDi Explorer used 45hp in its 84" prop.

Remember a hp can lift 550 lbs one foot in one second.

Diameter rules.