Electric clutch

sohandyandy

Electric clutch

Post by sohandyandy » January 14th, 2020, 4:19 am

Hello everybody
Has anyone ever seen an electric clutch on a single engine hovercraft, just thinking it would be handy to disconnect the thrust drive whilst loading, or waiting at the lights 😁. Also I was wondering if there is a "rule of thumb" for the lbs thrust/lift required for the surveyor, I am thinking of a ducted fan for thrust, I think this would cut down the height of the craft sufficiently to get it in my garage.
Thanks, Andy

bphillip2

Re: Electric clutch

Post by bphillip2 » January 14th, 2020, 7:32 am

Hello Andy. The Surveyor craft normally have 25hp-40 hp engines. The duct is not really helpful on clearance, and certainly presents many other issues. You can build a low cart and tilt the airdrive down(nose up). A two blade prop is a possibility, though they are rough during low speed turns.

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » January 14th, 2020, 7:34 am

A clutch serves very little purpose, but adds significant complication . In fact the little bit of thrust at 1400 rpm is quite helpful at moving the craft during ground handling.

sohandyandy

Post by sohandyandy » January 14th, 2020, 10:43 am

Hi Bryan
Many thanks for your wisdom (and the surveyor plans), I'm pleased to hear that it's not that beneficial, as you said it's not an easy thing to set up.
I'd still like a ducted fan for thrust though, I've read they're much quieter, but I'll work on some scale models and see what comments I get 😁, onwards and upwards, cheers
Andy

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » January 14th, 2020, 11:20 am

I spent a great deal of time and effort creating a set of tools to make molded 54 inch ducts for the Vanguard. They performed well in terms of propulsion and weren’t any noisier than the open Prop, certainly not quieter. I discontinued the use of the duct after I built about a dozen of them due to customer complaints and my thoughts as well. The most common complaint was it steered you into the wind. So if that’s the direction you want to go ..... hopefully the wind will shift so you get back home.