Rear quarter floatation compartment

flynlow

Rear quarter floatation compartment

Post by flynlow » May 4th, 2014, 6:46 pm

I'm about ready to close in the floatation compartment on my Surveyor, is there a trick or easy way to glass the inside corners of the last panel, once the top panel is installed ? I've noticed some craft have a couple of access hatches installed in this chamber, does this help in access for glassing !

Cheers Scot

bphillip2

Re: Rear quarter floatation compartment

Post by bphillip2 » May 6th, 2014, 4:23 pm

I put the bottom panel on last. I create a flange with scrap foam that I scrape away after glassing a 1 inch flange around the perimeter. This gives you a nice place to bed the panel into. I do try to glass the inside of any other areas through a hatch.

flynlow

Post by flynlow » May 8th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Thanks Bryan, I"ll give this a try on the week end !
Cheers Scot

jchovernut

Post by jchovernut » May 10th, 2014, 11:45 pm

I'll second Bryan's method...adding the flange is an even better step to add as well. I've been refurbishing an older Vanguard and found NONE of the inside seams fiberglassed!! One side didn't even have an inspection port, and the other side had a mini version that was simply useless! It took a lot of time and patience to glass all of those inside seams through the deck hatch...many short strips to be manageable! It's much easier to glass the bottom seams, working WITH gravity!! You can see some of the carnage over here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116&start=10

John Carer
John Carter
SEVs: Vanguard, FanTastic, Prospector, Explorer
Others: StarCruiser, UH-18P, RX2000
http://www.hovernut.com

bandit1538

Post by bandit1538 » May 11th, 2014, 7:31 am

I was reading your comment on having to cut the old rusty carriage bolts off and about using new stainless carriage bolts, on my Scout I used "Button Head" bolts, they look like carriage bolts but take an allen wrench. I didn't want to have to cut a stainless carriage bolt off if I had to take my skids off for some reason, which I did because I had to swap sides with them because they were too close to the skirt and I cut the skirt by setting down sideways.
Pat
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

highlandhovercraft

Post by highlandhovercraft » June 19th, 2014, 4:33 am

There is another little trick that can be used when glassing awkward to get at seams. It's a trick I learnt from Scott Wetherall when he was building his explorer. As Bryan says easier to do the bottom panel last as gravity helps keep the resin from running up your arm & dripping in your face etc. But the trick I learned from Scott Wetherall was to cut the glass tapes & matt first, then glass them in place on the panel before fitting it. Just use a little resin along the outer edge of the tape & CSM strip, so it holds it in place. When the resin has hardened loosely fold back the glass tape & CSM and use masking tape to hold it to the panel. Now fit the panel, by hot melt gluing as per normal. Now you can remove the strips of masking tape and the glass tape & CSM strips are in place ready to be glassed. The most difficult bit really is the rounding of the corners with light weight filler or micro balloons prior to glassing the strips. I also used this method on my Explorer build up underneath the front panel. This is really a great time saving trick ;)