23hp vanguard engine orientation

Beerbellyal

23hp vanguard engine orientation

Post by Beerbellyal »

Hello all. After starting a Vanguard 14’ about 20 years ago and putting the project on hold. I’m getting the itch to get it finished. I have question about the orientation of the 23hp engine. In the plans the 23hp vanguard mounts must be reversed for clearance. When I built the frame years ago I missed that note on the plans and located the narrow mounts on mount the rear. What interferes with the clearance? The rear engine mounts hit the belt or the pulley? Thanks for any help.
beezer

Re: 23hp vanguard engine orientation

Post by beezer »

the mount bolt positions dictate where the engine sits. rotating the long part of the engine forward shortens the distance to the turnaround pullies and puts the prop stand forward (as well as the CG and thrust line). you could use what you built and bodge it to make it work,,, but it is a fools
ls errand. I am assuming this is a single engine installation. if so... everything in the original design is thought out and has been tested, and will work. the single engine rig is REALLY a question of balance n=between systems... one change induces at least 2 or 3 more changes. so... OK, I move the thrust stand aft 2 in inches .... now you have changed the thrust line and the balance of the craft. it might not plane and it will want to wallow

picture standing on a beach ball. thats what the shorter hulls feel like

I have only built 3 (and modified a couple)(heavily) but can tell you for sure... once you change something from the plans... you will need to change at least 2 or 3 other things
Beerbellyal

Post by Beerbellyal »

Thanks beezer for the reply. Yes this is a single engine. I purchased a 23hp vanguard about 18 years ago and has never been started. Going by the the plan set. Im trying to fallow Barrys design to the letter. It states if using a 23hp the engine has to be rotated. It didn’t mention any other changes that had to be made. It no big deal to cut the four mounting location off and reattach. Just wasn’t sure what the issue I will encounter. Will the Morse cable have to be rerouted to the other side or why the 23hp has to be oriented this way.
bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 »

I don't know what beezer is talking about. The shaft would not move in either case. The reason for the note in the plan is that the 23hp engine would require a larger driver pulley, and that would interfer with the mounts as drawn. You can build the frame using 3/16" angle instead of the short square tube mount and the bolt head will clear, as the belt running below, but is close. I have the heads forward for other reasons. The larger motors such as Kohler have much larger mufflers that work best forward, also service parts can be reached from the cabin.
Beerbellyal

Post by Beerbellyal »

Thanks Bryan. If I use the 3/16 angle. Would I eliminate the 1/8 x1 black iron pipes at those two rear locations? Just bolt through the horizontal flat piece of the angle.
bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 »

yes, might have to be 1.5" angle or more, but you can cut down one leg to match 1x1.
Beerbellyal

Post by Beerbellyal »

I emailed you yesterday about a few things did you receive the email