Explorer trailer

Fly-On, Fly-Off, Wet Launch, Flat Bed, Bunk Type....All you ever wanted to know about hovercraft trailers!
highlandhovercraft

Explorer trailer

Post by highlandhovercraft »

I am about to embark on building an explorer.

I currently have a 16 foot surveyor which I built a couple of years ago. This craft I built a flat bed fly on tilting trailer to tow the hover around.

The explorer is going to be a bit more difficult to build a suitable flat bed owing to the width of the craft when on cushion.

In the UK we are limited to trailer width of 2.55 metres (85 inches)

Pictures would be good
jchovernut

Re: Explorer trailer

Post by jchovernut »

highlandhovercraft wrote:In the UK we are limited to trailer width of 2.55 metres (85 inches)
Wow! Our unrestricted towing width is 8'6" here in the US. How in the world are you planning on being legal towing the Explorer when its hard hull width is 90 inches? Add a couple more for skirt flop with the sidebodies folded down, too. Hope your Highway Troopers don't have too keen an eye on your tow!

Anyway, Bryan will be designing a dry-launch trailer for the current Explorer-22TDI build that will meet US specs and will allow dry land deployment and recovery of the hovercraft. It won't be a flatbed, though. Well, kind of...it'll be open framework to support the hull at strategic locations and allow underhull inspection/maintenance while trailered. It'll have a mechanism to deploy the framework to the ground so the Explorer may fly off and fly on with guidance on uneven terrain. I'm sure he'll release the plans to the Sevtec Kits Online Store once it is built and proven.....I would hope that would occur sometime this summer.

Cheers,
John Carter

Hmm...maybe it's time to add another Planset Forum topic: trailers!!
John Carter
SEVs: Vanguard, FanTastic, Prospector, Explorer
Others: StarCruiser, UH-18P, RX2000
http://www.hovernut.com
highlandhovercraft

We are allowed a 12" over hang either side of the trailer.
highlandhovercraft

Just realised I miscalculated with the trailer width :? :? :oops: The UK law is 2.55 mtrs which is not 85 inches it's 8.5 feet or approx 101"
jchovernut

Post by jchovernut »

highlandhovercraft wrote:Just realised I miscalculated with the trailer width :? :? :oops: The UK law is 2.55 mtrs which is not 85 inches it's 8.5 feet or approx 101"
Ahh, OK then! They're more in-line with US & Canada so Bryan's new 22' trailer should work for you!
John Carter
scottie

Post by scottie »

Hi all
Oh do I need a trailer, or should I say OH God do I need a trailer !!!
I been trying to find a used 20 ft tandem up here in the Northeast. There seem to be tons for sale down South but 1500 miles for a used trailer
is a bit much. The problem with building one is having it inspected and licensed. It requires a serial number before you can register and that means
a inspection by a state trooper or Sheriff.
Scottie
jchovernut

Post by jchovernut »

As far as inspection goes, dnantha (Dan) just built a trailer from Bryan's plans and had no problem whatsoever at the inspection. First order of business was a certified weight slip, which you can get at your local dump, gravel pit, or truck weigh station or local scales. Next, he took the weight slip to the inspector who took a cursory look at the trailer, passed it and issued a serial number. They're pretty much looking for compliance with width and lighting. If your trailer is over 80", there are even more complex lighting requirements to meet. Believe me, they can be confusing as Bryan and I have been pouring over the regulations and lighting manufacturer specs to meet the 'over 80' rules....sheesh! Here are a few good references for required lighting, and definitions...i.e.: P2 P3 PC PC2 lamp ratings, etc.!! PC & PC2 must be mounted on a 45deg angle to work as a combo marker AND clearance light.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/standar ... rpstr.html
http://www.truck-lite.com/wcsstore/tl/r ... DF/LUG.pdf
http://www.grote.com/tech/maintenance/sae_codes.html

Once again, this will be explained better in the trailer plans if you order a set from SEVTEC Kits. If you buy or build your own, please familiarize yourself with the regs posted above to make sure the trailer is in compliance.

May I ask why you need a tandem? I would think a properly configured single axle would handle most any SEV. Bryan specifies the settings of the torsion axles he obtains for his trailers in order to properly dampen bumps while adequately supporting the trailer weight and the load. A tandem or most other boat trailers will have some beefy suspension and the weight of the hovercraft will nary put a dent in it. People have literally had their craft shaken apart by stiff-sprung suspensions geared toward heavy loads, and therefore transmitting just about all the bumps and such right into the hovercraft! So, trailer suspension is yet another big thing to look for in a good hovercraft trailer.

John Carter
John Carter
highlandhovercraft

When I was looking for a trailer for my surveyor I was going to buy a used twin axle car transporter trailer. My way of thinking was it will always be worth a few quid if I wanted to sell it on. I was advised not to go that route for the reasons JC has mentioned above. I ended up building one and used axles that are rated as close to the weight of the trailer and hover combined. The trailer tows well and I have no issues of damage being caused to the hover while being towed.
scottie

Post by scottie »

Hi John
I was having a hard time signing in other wise I would have gotten back to you sooner.
The reason I've been looking for a tandem wheeled trailer is that it will track better then the single.
Most of the weight of my hover is out past the wheels of the trailer making it sway at highway speeds.
Your point about the tandem trailer being stiff is a very valid one. I will have to lighten the springs so that
it rides softer.
But if I can't find a tandem soon I will have to go with a long single and make it work.
Just a thought
Scottie
jchovernut

Post by jchovernut »

Scottie, a tandem torsion-axle should work in that case. You can have them built and sprung to your specifications.

John
John Carter