welding on trailer?

Fly-On, Fly-Off, Wet Launch, Flat Bed, Bunk Type....All you ever wanted to know about hovercraft trailers!
levster

welding on trailer?

Post by levster »

very interested in ordering the trailer plan but i'm curious as to how much (if any) welding is required. also how big is the crate for the whole kit? thanx LEV
bphillip2

Re: welding on trailer?

Post by bphillip2 »

I have a trailer plan for the 15'x7.5' version of the Surveyor. The longest piece of steel if I cut everything for you would be 15'. The only welding needed is to put together all the steel parts, the plywood is screwed down :) I use a 180 amp wire feed welder. The steel, axle and plywood could be bundled and small parts boxed. Should weigh about 800lbs.
Attachments
Steel cut out and some of the kit parts.
Steel cut out and some of the kit parts.
FlyonOff steel kit.JPG (153.17 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
jchovernut

Re: welding on trailer?

Post by jchovernut »

Lev,
You might take note that some of the metalwork in the above picture is already welded together. The folding sidebodies, trailer frame outriggers, the tongue with its offset angles, and parts of the winch assembly, and the pivot yoke with the pivot plug-welded in place. Depending on your welding skill level, and equipment (Bryan has a really nice TIG, and MIG), you might get some of the parts partially assembled like what's depicted in the pic. Then, once delivered, you'd only need to weld the major frame components. The decking and poly go down easily with self-drilling tek screws. I'd HIGHLY suggest using a Makita impact driver or the like!

I can attest to the robustness of this trailer. So far, I've moved my FanTastic from Seattle to St. Louis...hopefully getting it the rest of the way to Orlando this weekend....3400 miles! It has the FanTastic, some molds, a whole 'nother 14' bunk boat trailer disassembled, and other stuff loading it down and it took the load like a champ and trailered behind my VW Jetta TDI effortlessly! The torsion axle will treat your hover really well on your rough Petersburg roads ;)

What Bryan FAILED ;) to include in the above pic is the really slick LED lighting he's using on these trailers. We poured over a lot of data on trailer lighting specifications and manufacturers compliance with positioning, orientation, and optics and found some really good lighting that complies with all the regulations. This trailer really stands out at night and is highly visible. Plus, all the LED lighting is potted in and waterproof, so if you have to dip this trailer, you won't have to worry about soaking the lighting!

The pair of strap winches, tongue jack, and spare tire/mount are all pretty slick, too. Maybe a floor layout of a complete kit would be good....don't know if we took one like that or not?

John Carter
John Carter
SEVs: Vanguard, FanTastic, Prospector, Explorer
Others: StarCruiser, UH-18P, RX2000
http://www.hovernut.com