Short cruise on Loch Carron

Post links to YouTube, Vimeo, and others of SEVTEC hovercraft in action!
AJW

Short cruise on Loch Carron

Post by AJW » October 11th, 2015, 5:15 pm

jchovernut

Re: Short cruise on Loch Carron

Post by jchovernut » October 27th, 2015, 5:17 pm

Al, how do you like the five short-length rudders? Do they have good turning moment authority? I'd imagine the shorter length rudders would reduce weather-vaning tendencies.
Thanks!
John Carter
John Carter
SEVs: Vanguard, FanTastic, Prospector, Explorer
Others: StarCruiser, UH-18P, RX2000
http://www.hovernut.com

AJW

Re: Short cruise on Loch Carron

Post by AJW » October 28th, 2015, 2:08 am

I will be using 5 on my new build, but looking at a different method of making them. I swapped out the 3 larger rudders on my original Surveyor build in favour of the 5 narrower ones and they do make a difference. The overall surface area slightly increases with the 5, but main advantage is as you say the reduced tendency for weather cocking in side wind.

In their favour is that they are cheap & easy to make and are stronger than what they look. They also reduce the overall length of the craft by a few inches.

The disadvantages for the 5 are: IMHO they look cr*p as they are bonded foam PVC notice board. They can be made to look slightly prettier with vinyl wrap, but they still look home made and cheap & nasty. (I am hoping to address this with my latest surveyor build).

The main disadvantage with the 5 though is the reduced space across the rear if you need to carry out any repairs / maintenance around the belt / pully area etc.