Another new guy in Washington state

Please post your websites dedicated to building your hovercraft and any photos as well.
Seabrit2

Another new guy in Washington state

Post by Seabrit2 » December 31st, 2015, 3:07 pm

Hi, my name is Arnie. I am in Everett Washington considering a vanguard build. Are there any fellow builders or flyers in the area ? It would be great to hook up with fellow enthusiast both during and especially after the build

bandit1538

Re: Another new guy in Washington state

Post by bandit1538 » January 1st, 2016, 12:00 am

I'm on the opposite end of the state about 30 miles west of Longview.
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Seabrit2

Post by Seabrit2 » January 1st, 2016, 3:14 pm

3 hours is not far. Now too many hover crafters around !! What are you building or built ??

bandit1538

Post by bandit1538 » January 1st, 2016, 5:08 pm

Seabrit2 wrote:3 hours is not far. Now too many hover crafters around !! What are you building or built ??

I have a 25hp 12.5 foot Scout that I built and an 18 ft Prospector hull that I bought and haven't had time to finish. I hosted the NW HOVER-IN for several years but haven't done that for the last 2 years because of lack of interest and a sick wife.
Pat

dnantha

Post by dnantha » January 1st, 2016, 6:21 pm

Im building my second surveyor. Just a scaled up vanguard. I live near Montesano WA, out near the coast. I get up to Shoreline and Monroe now and then. If you get started, Id love to come up and check on your progress now and then. I have used my rig to run the local rivers for fishing and just plain fun. These things are amazing, and a fun build. Go with it,,,,Dan out

flynlow

Post by flynlow » January 1st, 2016, 6:33 pm

Hello Arnie, Welcome to the site!
I live about an hour and a half away from Everett, On the Canadian side of the world. Like Al mentioned there is lots of help for your build, in fact that's how I built my Surveyor. Lots and lots of pictures and U- tube videos. Finished my build in July 2015 and it has been nothing but fun ( even the wife loves it ) We want to meet more people with the same interest, so I'm sure we can plan a road trip in the future !

Don't think anymore start building !

Cheers Scot

dnantha

Post by dnantha » January 1st, 2016, 9:45 pm

Arnie, Im going to be around the Monroe airfield for parts of Saturday and Sunday. The 9th and 10th of jan 1916. If you like You can come out. Ill be making rudders for my Surveyor. Give me a call and exchange #s if you like. Dan at 360 249 1436. Days

dnantha

Post by dnantha » January 1st, 2016, 9:51 pm

Opps! got my own phone # wrong. Its 360 249 1439....Dan out

Seabrit2

Post by Seabrit2 » January 3rd, 2016, 4:30 pm

Hi dan, scot and pat
It's great to know there are fellow builders around. I have been toying with building a hovercraft for years and now being an empty nester seems like the first good time. I have a friend who builds and races back in Michigan but I want more of an SUV craft, to camp, fish and cruise. My initial thought was to build a scout with a 20hp plus engine. Being narrower than the vanguard makes it much easier for storage and transport. I was told that it is really only a single place craft because of its small foot print. Pat, I would be interested in how well your scout performs. ??
Dan, I would definitely like to come and see your build, spoiled that you are only 10mins away but I shall be away next weekend. If you are on rudders you must be close to finishing.
Scot, you are obviously hooked and Canada is definitely only a hop away.
FYI. I completed a duck boat build this past spring. By far the cheapest source for epoxy and glass was "duck works". I found them very good. Anybody have a good local source for the high density foam board or an alternate cheaper material which is less speedy ???
Btw, happy new year to all
Arnie

bandit1538

Post by bandit1538 » January 3rd, 2016, 10:08 pm

Seabrit2 wrote:Hi dan, scot and pat
It's great to know there are fellow builders around. I have been toying with building a hovercraft for years and now being an empty nester seems like the first good time. I have a friend who builds and races back in Michigan but I want more of an SUV craft, to camp, fish and cruise. My initial thought was to build a scout with a 20hp plus engine. Being narrower than the vanguard makes it much easier for storage and transport. I was told that it is really only a single place craft because of its small foot print. Pat, I would be interested in how well your scout performs. ??
Dan, I would definitely like to come and see your build, spoiled that you are only 10mins away but I shall be away next weekend. If you are on rudders you must be close to finishing.
Scot, you are obviously hooked and Canada is definitely only a hop away.
FYI. I completed a duck boat build this past spring. By far the cheapest source for epoxy and glass was "duck works". I found them very good. Anybody have a good local source for the high density foam board or an alternate cheaper material which is less speedy ???
Btw, happy new year to all
Arnie
I can take a passenger if they don't weigh no more than 150, at 12.5 feet, 2.5 feet longer than spec but spec width it doesn't turn well, I have to lean to turn. I don't advise building a Scout, build something bigger, 16 to 18 foot.
Pat