finished panel weights

Jeff

finished panel weights

Post by Jeff »

Is there a test weight listed in here some where for a completed piece of foam at a given size like 12" x12". I just want to make sure i now where i am.
AJW

Re: finished panel weights

Post by AJW »

HI, on the plans each panel has its weight written on it, so this will give you a good indicator of how close you are to the plan weight.
bandit1538

Post by bandit1538 »

Hi Jeff, what are you building, I thought you and Arlin traded crafts?
Pat
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I'm not sure where its written on these plans for weight per each panel.

Arlin, curt, rossi and I are building new machines from the ground up. WE still have or old machines. it was decided it would be nice if every one had the same craft with the same engine so we could cruise as group better. I imagine we should probably put the explorer and prospector uh 17 up for sale. We have them down to there hulls now and there ready to be just put back together. Good start for some one that wants to not build the hulls plus there on trailers.

I started out I was just going to build a scout really quick to run around this river I live on. I already had almost all the parts in the garage for the project. Then Curt thought there should be a seat for him to ride along. so we switched to the 14 x7 hull. After a day of thinking on it i thought why not just build a 15 x 7.5 then. Long story short it took every one a few weeks to decide to build new machines. I have cnc cutting table so were going to cut them all on that. Rossi just built a room at his shop for the table and I'm taking it up there in a week or so to set it up. It will be nice having it all cut for us. We have been doing it for a few years now in 1/4" plywood and glass and that works so well and keeps the cost way down. its so much stronger it doesn't ever crush or fatigue like the foam can. This build were going to try a new material that Rossi works with. its an aluminum composite with a polyethylene core I think? Rossi has been running some tests on it with different mechanical fasteners and sealants. So far its been indestructible he says and better than foam or wood. Its looking like your basic pop rivet and 5200 marine sealant may be close to impossible to fail a seam. will see this week as were setting up a 1000lb scale and destroying the test part we built. But whats for sure is foam would have failed and wood as well. So i think were onto some thing.

The reason for all the tests is since its not glassed together we had to devise a system for ad hearing the panels together. Its not complicated I'm not sure how to explain the process. The cnc puts the rivet holes in the panels so it should make the craft its own self building jig. lets say you have the floor panel and its 42 inches wide. The router would cut the panel on the sides say 2" wider on both sides. then it routers the first layer and then the polyethylene layer right down to the bottom layer of aluminum on the extra 2" it added to the floor panel. so now it has these router strips open 2' wide both sides that leave a 2' strip of aluminum panel exposed. With the floor panel flat on the ground you lay the side panel flat on the ground next to it. install the sealant on the area that has been routed open and align the rivet holes and rivet? but the cool part is you can grab that out side panel now and lift it to the desired angle and the joint will bend perfectly and the joint will be filled with sealant and over lapped making it actually thicker there than on the rest of the panel. then you simply install the next panel and continue on this route tell the hull is complete. The test pieces i did were simple and fast to build. plus it comes powder coated in any color you want and it is rated for 5k continuous hours in a marine environment. The color has 5 year guarantee in the direct sun light to look as good as new. comes in all thicknesses and some different core materials.

You can do all this with a had router as well. we got glassing down to about $70 a panel using ply wood 1/4" and it weighs about same as 1/2" foam glassed and is many times stronger. you can bounce a sludge hammer off glassed ply wood. but foam is 100$ more for a 4x8 sheet or 32 square foot of foamed material. This stuff is $50 to $150 and it looks like will be using it about the $70 range. that's no glassing or painting needed. it will be nice to not have any resins to mess with at all and no more sanding. plus when your done you just peel the protective plastic off and its fully powder coated.

So will see how it goes if not will be cutting 1/4' ply wood sheets again. This vinyl cutting machine rossi has will cut and print on anything up to 1" thick. So you can have a skirt cut right out and have signage on it or build instructions ?? I though it would be cool to have the club names printed on the side of the bag when there cut out.

So what we decided to do is go with the prospector plans with some type of cabin/roof? not sure on that yet. I'm currently starting on the engine builds now. just tore the first two blocks down. I'll make the engines all new zero time. were using the 1.3b Suzuki SOHC with a single turbo set up for 150 hp. So just a few lbs of boost. They'll be run on one of my custom propane systems. Simple virtually no electronics and managing the turbo side of it is very easy on LP. plus LP is is half the cost of unleaded. HP/Torque like a diesel and half the cost of fuel. Plus it lets us carry a larger fuel tank with LP being lighter than unleaded will have a tanks allowing us to carry as much as 50 gallons if your willing to give up passenger or pay load. 16 ft or 15 ft is all were going for in size and the intent is only four seats. Rossi still has the two younger daughters so they need four seats. I usually just go with my dog and curt has no friends and no one wants to ride with Arlin. Kidding were getting old its usually just one guy in his own craft so no reason to build for giant payloads.

But you can never have enough HP. i was going to go with about 85hp but i missed placed my prospector plans and ordered new ones. I see they have on them the 2.2Liter soob and when i looked it up at about 120 hp it just made sense and sense we have been building to the 10hp per ft rule now for so long. to go with the ability to boost the engine and dial in exactly what we need for the weather we want to be able to fly in will be really nice.

So i guess were all back at it full speed again. I'm building a very cool engine mount that has the factory Suzuki transmission for the gear box. I drew this up some time back but needed a fresh hull to set it up on. I'm not sure of the final weight yet but a shift of the engine on the hull and will keep the CG right were it needs to be. I'm using one drive axle and the actual front hub off the car. Imagine instead of bolting on the wheel I'll bolt on an aluminum hub that will have the prop bolt pattern on it. IT raises the engine up some but I have never felt like the prospector would be top heavy from this modification. heck you can fly around with several people standing up walking around. should be smooth it will all mount on the factory engine transmission mounts. transmission is 57lbs a clutch kit is a few lbs we already run the fly wheel so i don't count that. I don't run any shafts or pulleys for the lift fan or thrust fan now so i think i get really close to a small weight gain? but you get a neutral and reverse if you want that wont be every effective but it will work. plus I'm less weight with a Suzuki than 2.2 soob. Fifth gear is 3.1 to 1 ratio and that's just fine for me. I always turn the rpm up a little more than the plans to 6k rpm where the power really is. So that still gets me in at 1930 rpm on the prop and if i go with a 75" prop I'm at 432 mph which is a good place to be. I don't see why it wont think its headed down the freeway instead of across the ocean. since all i do is build these any how I'll work out any soft spots. the lift fan i made adapter to mount to the front of the crank shaft. I was going to drive it with the other trans axle but I like the idea of being on lift and slipping it in neutral or even reverse with out coming off cushion. the option is there and i can tackle it at a later date to install controls to those options. I had a clutch on my explorer and never used it once. Curt likes the idea of working on the engine and drive with it running and the prop disengaged. To be able to sleep with the heat on in the winter and just the lift fan running would not stop anchoring out? Plus no CO to kill you from it running with the much air flowing in the bags.

Ive went on here forever doing chores and typing over the last few hrs. Did you ever fly the prospector you bought years ago. were talking about being flying in these new machines around February. if you get bored come help. and tell us if you used wiggle wire on your skirt and how that worked.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Where to find the panel weight:
For the Surveyor look at that panel page. 2nd sheet. Each panel on the plans says "PANEL WEIGHT GLASSED".
H7, Floor, 20-22 lbs
H8A. 5-6 lbs
H8B, 3-4 lbs
H7, left and right, 10-11 lbs each
H9, left and right, 5-6 lbs each
H2, left and right, 2 lbs each
H1, 5-6 lbs
bandit1538

Post by bandit1538 »

Jeff wrote:I'm not sure where its written on these plans for weight per each panel.

Hi Jeff, I've been so busy with the wireless internet business me and two other guys are setting up that I haven't had time to work on the Prospector, last fall I had to replace the air shock on my GoldWing and I found a bike that had just been wrecked so I bought the air shock and the whole rest of the drive train including all the wiring, switches, computers, and exhaust. This will go in the Pros. instead of the Subee, about the same weight with more HP plus the tranny and drive line. Once it's in I'll take it to Honda and have a carbs rebuild with bigger jets to boost the HP, it gets quite windy down here on the Columbia so I need the extra HP.
Pat

Arlin, curt, rossi and I are building new machines from the ground up. WE still have or old machines. it was decided it would be nice if every one had the same craft with the same engine so we could cruise as group better. I imagine we should probably put the explorer and prospector uh 17 up for sale. We have them down to there hulls now and there ready to be just put back together. Good start for some one that wants to not build the hulls plus there on trailers.

I started out I was just going to build a scout really quick to run around this river I live on. I already had almost all the parts in the garage for the project. Then Curt thought there should be a seat for him to ride along. so we switched to the 14 x7 hull. After a day of thinking on it i thought why not just build a 15 x 7.5 then. Long story short it took every one a few weeks to decide to build new machines. I have cnc cutting table so were going to cut them all on that. Rossi just built a room at his shop for the table and I'm taking it up there in a week or so to set it up. It will be nice having it all cut for us. We have been doing it for a few years now in 1/4" plywood and glass and that works so well and keeps the cost way down. its so much stronger it doesn't ever crush or fatigue like the foam can. This build were going to try a new material that Rossi works with. its an aluminum composite with a polyethylene core I think? Rossi has been running some tests on it with different mechanical fasteners and sealants. So far its been indestructible he says and better than foam or wood. Its looking like your basic pop rivet and 5200 marine sealant may be close to impossible to fail a seam. will see this week as were setting up a 1000lb scale and destroying the test part we built. But whats for sure is foam would have failed and wood as well. So i think were onto some thing.

The reason for all the tests is since its not glassed together we had to devise a system for ad hearing the panels together. Its not complicated I'm not sure how to explain the process. The cnc puts the rivet holes in the panels so it should make the craft its own self building jig. lets say you have the floor panel and its 42 inches wide. The router would cut the panel on the sides say 2" wider on both sides. then it routers the first layer and then the polyethylene layer right down to the bottom layer of aluminum on the extra 2" it added to the floor panel. so now it has these router strips open 2' wide both sides that leave a 2' strip of aluminum panel exposed. With the floor panel flat on the ground you lay the side panel flat on the ground next to it. install the sealant on the area that has been routed open and align the rivet holes and rivet? but the cool part is you can grab that out side panel now and lift it to the desired angle and the joint will bend perfectly and the joint will be filled with sealant and over lapped making it actually thicker there than on the rest of the panel. then you simply install the next panel and continue on this route tell the hull is complete. The test pieces i did were simple and fast to build. plus it comes powder coated in any color you want and it is rated for 5k continuous hours in a marine environment. The color has 5 year guarantee in the direct sun light to look as good as new. comes in all thicknesses and some different core materials.

You can do all this with a had router as well. we got glassing down to about $70 a panel using ply wood 1/4" and it weighs about same as 1/2" foam glassed and is many times stronger. you can bounce a sludge hammer off glassed ply wood. but foam is 100$ more for a 4x8 sheet or 32 square foot of foamed material. This stuff is $50 to $150 and it looks like will be using it about the $70 range. that's no glassing or painting needed. it will be nice to not have any resins to mess with at all and no more sanding. plus when your done you just peel the protective plastic off and its fully powder coated.

So will see how it goes if not will be cutting 1/4' ply wood sheets again. This vinyl cutting machine rossi has will cut and print on anything up to 1" thick. So you can have a skirt cut right out and have signage on it or build instructions ?? I though it would be cool to have the club names printed on the side of the bag when there cut out.

So what we decided to do is go with the prospector plans with some type of cabin/roof? not sure on that yet. I'm currently starting on the engine builds now. just tore the first two blocks down. I'll make the engines all new zero time. were using the 1.3b Suzuki SOHC with a single turbo set up for 150 hp. So just a few lbs of boost. They'll be run on one of my custom propane systems. Simple virtually no electronics and managing the turbo side of it is very easy on LP. plus LP is is half the cost of unleaded. HP/Torque like a diesel and half the cost of fuel. Plus it lets us carry a larger fuel tank with LP being lighter than unleaded will have a tanks allowing us to carry as much as 50 gallons if your willing to give up passenger or pay load. 16 ft or 15 ft is all were going for in size and the intent is only four seats. Rossi still has the two younger daughters so they need four seats. I usually just go with my dog and curt has no friends and no one wants to ride with Arlin. Kidding were getting old its usually just one guy in his own craft so no reason to build for giant payloads.

But you can never have enough HP. i was going to go with about 85hp but i missed placed my prospector plans and ordered new ones. I see they have on them the 2.2Liter soob and when i looked it up at about 120 hp it just made sense and sense we have been building to the 10hp per ft rule now for so long. to go with the ability to boost the engine and dial in exactly what we need for the weather we want to be able to fly in will be really nice.

So i guess were all back at it full speed again. I'm building a very cool engine mount that has the factory Suzuki transmission for the gear box. I drew this up some time back but needed a fresh hull to set it up on. I'm not sure of the final weight yet but a shift of the engine on the hull and will keep the CG right were it needs to be. I'm using one drive axle and the actual front hub off the car. Imagine instead of bolting on the wheel I'll bolt on an aluminum hub that will have the prop bolt pattern on it. IT raises the engine up some but I have never felt like the prospector would be top heavy from this modification. heck you can fly around with several people standing up walking around. should be smooth it will all mount on the factory engine transmission mounts. transmission is 57lbs a clutch kit is a few lbs we already run the fly wheel so i don't count that. I don't run any shafts or pulleys for the lift fan or thrust fan now so i think i get really close to a small weight gain? but you get a neutral and reverse if you want that wont be every effective but it will work. plus I'm less weight with a Suzuki than 2.2 soob. Fifth gear is 3.1 to 1 ratio and that's just fine for me. I always turn the rpm up a little more than the plans to 6k rpm where the power really is. So that still gets me in at 1930 rpm on the prop and if i go with a 75" prop I'm at 432 mph which is a good place to be. I don't see why it wont think its headed down the freeway instead of across the ocean. since all i do is build these any how I'll work out any soft spots. the lift fan i made adapter to mount to the front of the crank shaft. I was going to drive it with the other trans axle but I like the idea of being on lift and slipping it in neutral or even reverse with out coming off cushion. the option is there and i can tackle it at a later date to install controls to those options. I had a clutch on my explorer and never used it once. Curt likes the idea of working on the engine and drive with it running and the prop disengaged. To be able to sleep with the heat on in the winter and just the lift fan running would not stop anchoring out? Plus no CO to kill you from it running with the much air flowing in the bags.

Ive went on here forever doing chores and typing over the last few hrs. Did you ever fly the prospector you bought years ago. were talking about being flying in these new machines around February. if you get bored come help. and tell us if you used wiggle wire on your skirt and how that worked.
If it aint broke, don't fix it.