SALTWATER USE?

Please post any other questions or concerns that don't fit into the other topics.
Mudbay

SALTWATER USE?

Post by Mudbay » January 1st, 2020, 2:13 pm

Any advice on using the smaller Sevtecs on saltwater and beaches with barnacles and oysters most of the time? Would you use any different materials or if buying a used one, change out certain items?

beezer

Re: SALTWATER USE?

Post by beezer » January 1st, 2020, 11:13 pm

obviously do corrosion control measures on metal parts before hand, and stay on top of it. start with good paint on everything and occasionally spray parts down with ACF50, Corrosion-X, Boeshield etc

you're not talking about leaving it parked floating at a dock are you? I wouldn't do that. as far as running on beaches though, I don't see anything different than running rivers except the salt

Mudbay

Post by Mudbay » January 2nd, 2020, 9:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, Beezer. No it wouldn't be moored but I wonder if the oysters and barnacles would cut the standard skirt. I hadn't heard of those corrosion sprays so good to know.

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » January 4th, 2020, 9:58 am

If you don't use stainless for your guard and drive frame, then I suggest hot dip galvanizing. Unless you address corrosion inside, as well as out, you are wasting your time.
The urethane skirts we use hold up best. Vinyl is temporary at best. We also add urethane film to the wear areas.

Mudbay

Post by Mudbay » January 10th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Thanks Bryan.

exskimmer

Post by exskimmer » March 20th, 2020, 10:09 am

my explorer skirt was the grey vinyl, lasted about 5 seasons in the bay of fundy nb. barnacles wore the vinyl off the fabric so I glued a doubler on the bottom the whole way around. sun damage killed the skirt in eventually.

Mudbay

Post by Mudbay » March 21st, 2020, 4:33 pm

Good info. We have oysters and barnacles where I would like to use the craft so anything that can help sounds good to me. Thanks.

beezer

Post by beezer » March 22nd, 2020, 8:51 pm

5 years of normal operation on sand and gravel bars will wear the PVC off the fabric too. you can build a new skirt or patch the old one if its not too bad. trouble is when the PVC is worn off, the glues don't stick very well. what I've done is cut out larger panels, lay that piece on fresh fabric, mark it with a felt tip pen & cut it out about an inch and a half bigger, then glue that into the hole, bonding to the INSIDE, just work off the marker line, the inside of the bag will still have a full coat of PVC. look at the pix in my 2 engine post. another thing I've been doing for the doublers lately is using 2" strips. they are a lot easier to handle both installing and removing. a 5-6 year old seam of doubler comes loose pretty easy with a heat gun. you can peel off the old wear strip and put a new one in the same place. way easier than say trying to redo a single 24" long piece 10 inches wide

Mudbay

Post by Mudbay » March 24th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Thanks Beezer.