Explorer Lift Fan

eccles

Explorer Lift Fan

Post by eccles » February 13th, 2012, 7:14 am

Hi Guys,,For JC or Amphib. Marine,,can you tell me the size & pitch of the lift fan in that new Explorer that was recently built in your factory, please..thanks,,Eric

bphillip2

Re: Explorer Lift Fan

Post by bphillip2 » February 13th, 2012, 10:02 am

The diameter is 34" and the pitch is a closely guarded company secret, or 25°. I don't remember which. If you install a 34" on a stock Explorer built to the plans expect problems maintaining lift as you try to slow down.

Bryan
http://www.sevteckits.com

highlandhovercraft

Post by highlandhovercraft » February 14th, 2012, 5:32 am

With the deisel powered craft that you fitted the single lift fan to, how did you overcome the lift problem when slowing the craft down?

Would you recommend that a new build should stick to the twin lift fan?

Reason I ask is that I am considering building a 22 foot explorer and would like to fit a deisel power plant. I was thinking of buying a diesel powered car / van with around 80 to 100 hp engine and stripping out the engine & electronics. I know the original powerplant was based on a subaru but the older subaru engines are getting quite rare these days so looking for a more modern power plant.

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » February 14th, 2012, 8:09 am

The diesel is the reason I was able use one fan. It has an operating rpm range more like the Kohler or Briggs engines, 900-3000 rpm. The wider the operating range the more difficult it is to balance the lift and thrust. The diesel power plant also raises other issues that make it more complicated to install, like weight, high starting torque and in this case, electronics. I understand for example that some VW cars are protected by an anti-theft system that may require the transmission to be present and all parts from the same VIN.

You could simply use another more modern gas engine. All you need is about 70-80 hp @4200, or lower.

Bryan

highlandhovercraft

Post by highlandhovercraft » February 17th, 2012, 11:41 am

Someone has suggested that I could use two Kohler 40bhp horizontal shaft petrol engines. One for lift & one for thrust. It would be an easy way of using brand new engines and minimal electronics other than ignition and charging etc. I think they would sit side by side.

I have checked out the specs of the engines and they weigh 132lbs (59kg) dry each. L X W X H = 15.3" X 19" X 27.5".

Do you think these engines could be a viable alternative to the EA82 engine.

Disadvantage would be lack of water cooling for the heater, not sticking to plan engine.

Advantages modern engine, readily available, miniumum electronics easy servicing,low revving seperate lift & thrust controls, no water cooling system to fit

N21343

Post by N21343 » December 6th, 2012, 12:57 pm

I too am contemplating using twin 40hp Koehlers. I'm thinking of cutting down the large air plenum to deck height, and using vertical fans, similar to Vanguard. This would result in increased aft visibility, and improve competing thrust components. Ground handling would also improve with the ability to move about the large craft on high cushion, without the thrust component. Any input Bryan?

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » December 8th, 2012, 7:46 am

The thrust component is needed to move the Explorer on anything but polished concrete. Other than managing two throttles instead of one, the twin configuration should not make this harder. The fan box is a nice noise shield, as well as a logical place to attach a top and doubles as a seat back. I don't see why you can't have a horizontal fan though.

The twin Kohlers will make the craft noisier, shakier, harder to drive(except on ice), but no heavier, should work fine. With all these changes will it be an Explorer? Maybe a really big twin Surveyor...

N21343

Post by N21343 » December 10th, 2012, 1:02 pm

Thanks for the input, Bryan. I imagine the vibration from the twin two-bangers would be noticeable, but I would like the ability of remaining on cushion, without forward thrust. Even my Vanguard can be annoying while ground handling with a low throttle setting. Has a clutch system been successfully used by any builders? Tom

WerkSpace

Post by WerkSpace » December 10th, 2012, 1:30 pm

I've been exploring the idea of using a John Deere variator to reduce the thrust and provide more lift for ground handling. So far, I purchased four variators from eBay for less than $50 each (delivered). I plan to use them for other projects as well, such as my metal lathe or drill press.
N21343 wrote:Thanks for the input, Bryan. I imagine the vibration from the twin two-bangers would be noticeable, but I would like the ability of remaining on cushion, without forward thrust. Even my Vanguard can be annoying while ground handling with a low throttle setting. Has a clutch system been successfully used by any builders? Tom

bandit1538

Post by bandit1538 » December 10th, 2012, 4:09 pm

N21343 wrote:Thanks for the input, Bryan. I imagine the vibration from the twin two-bangers would be noticeable, but I would like the ability of remaining on cushion, without forward thrust. Even my Vanguard can be annoying while ground handling with a low throttle setting. Has a clutch system been successfully used by any builders? Tom
When I get around to finishing my Prospector I plan to use 4x4 ATV or small 4x4 passenger vehicle electromagnetic clutch to engage the prop so it will make it easier to handle in the shop or else where, ofcourse if you do that then you will need a spring loaded pulley on the downward side of the belt to take up the shock of the clutch when it engages.
Pat
If it aint broke, don't fix it.