Wood Inserts

highlandhovercraft

Re: Wood Inserts

Post by highlandhovercraft » March 10th, 2012, 9:24 am

Have been thinking of ways in which to help protect the rear edge of the fan bay. Instead of using the 1 1/2" ali angle for skids I am planning on using 2" X 1" ali box section, which will make the skids more robust and add very little extra weight. I operate in pretty rocky areas. I'm thinking if the center skids are continued across the fan bay then attached to the rear of the fan bay it will keep the rear edge off the ground in heavy landings.

Any thoughts on this?

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » March 11th, 2012, 10:33 am

A box section is a bad idea, think roll over. I use 1.5x0.75 HDPE or UHMWPE runners. Using #14 screws every 6 inches, extra one at front and rear, into milled fiber/micro hardpoints makes installation easy. I bevel the front and rear at 60° and the chamfer the edges at 45°. I see no need to carry the center runners across the fan box. I do add another block 4 inches around the plow plane on the outer runners.

Just use some extra glass around the fan box edges and higher density foam if you have it.

The best protection is good driving, don't crash it, land it.

Bryan

scotty

Post by scotty » March 18th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Hi bryan, thank's for putting this website together it has cleared a few questions up for me without even asking,
would you have a pic of these runners you discribe?, also on your pic I see you are a big fan of CF to substitute the wood infill but is that PU construction sealant
I see there in the rear compartment joining the pannels together instead of bondo? then glassed over or are you just great at the filling lol.

best regards scott

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » March 19th, 2012, 9:37 pm

I use 20 oz carbon Uni to add stiffness to key areas as I came in to a bit of a supply. The previous post "says" carbon, but has not been added yet.

I'm not certain which area you see as PU sealant, but that would not bond. The fillets are resin filled with 27% by weight micro dispensed from a homemade cake bag. I use nylon bag film heat sealed with a food saver, 3/8" ID HDPE tube stuck in as a nozzle. I then strike off with a tongue depressor or other larger radi tool.
Attachments
P1080058.JPG
runners
P1080058.JPG (59 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
IMG_3465.JPG
carbon through fan box bottom edge
IMG_3465.JPG (64.86 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

scotty

Post by scotty » March 20th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me bryan, pics speak a thousand words