Roof

highlandhovercraft

Roof

Post by highlandhovercraft » February 28th, 2012, 6:04 am

Bryan, When you fitted the soft top to the explorerdid you add hard points into the areas where the roof frame bolts and also roof clips on to the hull?

I intend fitting a roof on my explorer build so I want to incorporate any areas I need to strengthen during the build. I had considered fitting a permanent hard top until I watched the explorer dvd, then decided I would stick to the plan as not to upset the balance of the craft.

Also is there a ridge or something around the screen surround & lift fan stack where the roof fit,s to stop any water running in under the roof?

bphillip2

Re: Roof

Post by bphillip2 » March 3rd, 2012, 10:49 am

The tube frame does have hardpoints. I built the entire top before painting the craft. The snaps simply thread into extra glass placed along the edge of the cockpit. The rear of the canvas is secured into a piece of awning rail, rope sew into the fabric slides into a plastic molding.

highlandhovercraft

Post by highlandhovercraft » March 3rd, 2012, 2:13 pm

Do you feel that a hard top would be possible on this craft without upsetting the balance & handling of the craft?

I was thinking of 1/2" foam core & 6 oz glass cloth either side. Windows along the sides made out of 1/16" to 1/8" thick polycarbonate, with some upright foam core pillars for support. The doors could either be foam core & 6oz cloth or canvas as per soft top roof.

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » March 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm

That weight should not be an issue. Soft vinyl windows from the hard top down seem much easier.
Bryan

highlandhovercraft

Post by highlandhovercraft » March 4th, 2012, 1:39 pm

I will probably stick with a soft top as I feel it will be easier to make or get made, than a hard top. Also I know that the soft top works. I'm just mulling over ideas & a hard top being one of them.

jchovernut

Post by jchovernut » March 4th, 2012, 1:51 pm

You can always go the soft-top quick-route, and then consider building a hard-top later on if you feel the need.

John
John Carter
SEVs: Vanguard, FanTastic, Prospector, Explorer
Others: StarCruiser, UH-18P, RX2000
http://www.hovernut.com