explorer skirt strip

scotty

explorer skirt strip

Post by scotty » April 6th, 2012, 11:04 am

HI, I fancy using a stainless strip on my build for attaching the skirt to the craft, but what's the best way of forming this around the craft and also I have seen pic's of the 22tdi setup which has a curve at the rear how was this done? was it a sheet then cut out in that shape?.

thanks scotty

bphillip2

Re: explorer skirt strip

Post by bphillip2 » April 6th, 2012, 1:16 pm

They are laser cut strips of soft aluminum. I sell them often to builders that stop in. I don't think any stainless alloy could be formed easily, even the "0" condition aluminum takes some practice.

Bryan

WerkSpace

Post by WerkSpace » April 6th, 2012, 4:50 pm

If your aluminum strips are .040" or thinner, the OLFA P-800 laminate cutter works great.
http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/article ... _howto.asp
The idea is to score the metal several times and then snap the piece off.

dbhyslop

Post by dbhyslop » April 6th, 2012, 6:08 pm

Is corrosion an issue on the aluminum strips in a marine environment?

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » April 6th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Theoretical yes with stainless screws, but in practice I've seen no issue of the last 14 years. The strip I use is 0.09 thick, 0.75" wide. The strip can't be too thin or it would not do its job. I use a 5 inch hole spacing. The stuff at the hardware store is 6" spacing, T6 condition and 1/8" thick, seems hard to use.

scotty

Post by scotty » April 7th, 2012, 2:46 am

Cool thanks for the info all , I will look into this more closer later in the build, my first thought was to use a caravan awning rail along the length of the craft and wrap the top of the skirt around the awining piping and glue in place so I could slide the skirt on the full length, then use flat strip on the bow and stern to secure it then to secure the lower attach points as normal :D but i have no idea if this will work out.
Attachments
awning rail.jpg
awning rail.jpg (63.64 KiB) Viewed 5516 times

eccles

Post by eccles » April 15th, 2012, 7:05 am

Hi Scottie,,I was thinking of using the Northern Greenhouse, greenhouse film attachment strips as did Wouter in Holland. He seems to have had good results with that product. Now I just need to convince a nice American to agree to be a "Middle Man" & ship it out to me in Oz as the company only ships to the USA & Canada. ( totally my expense of course! )

bandit1538

Post by bandit1538 » April 15th, 2012, 5:33 pm

eccles wrote:Hi Scottie,,I was thinking of using the Northern Greenhouse, greenhouse film attachment strips as did Wouter in Holland. He seems to have had good results with that product. Now I just need to convince a nice American to agree to be a "Middle Man" & ship it out to me in Oz as the company only ships to the USA & Canada. ( totally my expense of course! )
I also used the poly lock on my Scout, it works fine except for the bow skirt. The bow skirt won't lay down right so I just used it over top the bow skirt like a normal tack strip to keep the same look.
Pat
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

highlandhovercraft

Post by highlandhovercraft » May 2nd, 2012, 10:59 am

eccles wrote:Hi Scottie,,I was thinking of using the Northern Greenhouse, greenhouse film attachment strips as did Wouter in Holland. He seems to have had good results with that product. Now I just need to convince a nice American to agree to be a "Middle Man" & ship it out to me in Oz as the company only ships to the USA & Canada. ( totally my expense of course! )
I am also considering using the polyfastener system but they wont post to the UK only USA & Canada:shock: Anyone fancy being middle man and be willing to post on a roll of the polyfastener to me "please"? I cant see any reason why it shouldn't work on an explorer for upper skirt attachment.

scottie

Post by scottie » May 10th, 2012, 2:20 pm

Hi
I used that greenhouse film attachment strips for my Explorer both on top and bottom. You do have to double screw it. Screw down the bottom strip every foot to eighteen inches. Then the holding strip every two to three feet and at both ends. I added a
little waterproofing past around the screws too.
Scottie