Centreboards and Rudders

lach

Centreboards and Rudders

Post by lach » March 2nd, 2013, 9:59 pm

Has anyone seen a Centreboard and immersed rudder on a Hover for open water use.99% the time here in Phuket one is on open water. What I am looking at is a swinging centreboard and rudder which can swing up into the hull (as used on Yachts) if they are not wanted or if they hit anything. Being immersed in water to say 1 to 2 ft would give excellent directional stability and tracking at an angle into or away from the wind reducing leeway.Would assist in soft mud.I assume that not too much drag would be created.If anyone has seen anything like this could you let me know Cheers Lachie

bandit1538

Re: Centreboards and Rudders

Post by bandit1538 » March 3rd, 2013, 2:06 am

If you go that direction then you might as well have a boat.
Pat
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » March 3rd, 2013, 8:13 am

1 to 2 ft in the water? The drag of any such device would be tremendous. Barry and others have tried such things in the past. Keep in mind even the smallest device will render the regular rudders useless.

jchovernut

Post by jchovernut » March 4th, 2013, 2:22 am

In my 27 years of hovering, I've never heard of such a device for a truely amphibious hovercraft of any size. Maybe only on sidewall hovercraft (SES) or water drive hovercraft like the Hovermarine fleet that used to operate in Hong Kong. You might pose the question in the Hovercraft Museum Facebook forum as there is a wealth of historical knowledge amongst the members there.

I'll add that in the 1400 miles of Alaska Inside Passage flying I did with Bryan & Barry, I never saw the need for any such device in any of the windy/rainy/wavy hovering we were doing...not even in the harbors or marinas.

John Carter
John Carter
SEVs: Vanguard, FanTastic, Prospector, Explorer
Others: StarCruiser, UH-18P, RX2000
http://www.hovernut.com