Propellor

pnewland

Propellor

Post by pnewland » February 22nd, 2014, 4:58 am

I am soon going to need a prop for my explorer build and was just interested if any other props have be tried with regards to low noise, I am in the UK where noise is a major issue and many hovercraft bans have been put in place over the years because of it, nowadays mainly because of the disturbance to birds as the conservationists have a large say in what goes on over here.
I understand large props turning at optimum rpm with the correct pitch and minimal air flow disturbance in front is the way forward but am just interested in the design of props with regards to shape and tip design as say the Whirl Wind Whisper tip.

Paul

eccinoz

Re: Propellor

Post by eccinoz » February 22nd, 2014, 6:24 am

Hi, I suggest that you get in contact with the UK Hovercruiser Club. They're a bunch of highly experienced guys who are fighting for their rights regarding the right of navigation. They own,build & fly a number of makes including SEVTECs. This is not the HCGB club, which seems to be mainly concerned with racing. look 'em up at www.hoverclub.org.uk :D

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » February 22nd, 2014, 7:17 am

Upgrading from the 72" Ivo to the 84" wide blade version as I do reduces prop noise below that of the engine and fan, as well as increasing performance. The prototype that I built had a 4 blade 84" version with a custom hub I made, that cost less than the 3 blade model.

I can assist with matching the drive to your engine, and reduce its weight over the older v-belt drive setup.

The Explorer setup built this way is quieter than many power boats at a distance, like jet boats. I've never had any thing but compliments on the noise signature from the Explorer on my many travels.

pnewland

Post by pnewland » February 23rd, 2014, 8:00 am

Thanks Guys
I have been a member of the Hovercraft Cruising Club from almost when it started its a great club with a huge amount of knowledge just thought I would widen the knowledge base as in the US I believe more props are used in hovercraft and airboats.
Brian I will certainly be in touch soon about the supply of the prop and drive systems.

Paul

jchovernut

Post by jchovernut » February 26th, 2014, 10:54 pm

I can attest to the whisper-quiet nature of the 84" paddle-blade Ivo-Prop Bryan uses on the Explorer-22TDI because I've done a lot of filming around that SEV. Bryan has that design refined quite well with the exhaust ported into the fan box, the low RPM diesel, and low RPM prop. You'll definitely be satisfied with its performance as well as its sound signature.

I live in Florida and operate around airboats. Those props are big paddles, too, but they're designed to absorb several hundred horsepower from aircraft engines, or big-block Cadillac engines. I think you'll find your best match in the 84" model Bryan uses.

Cheers,
John Carter
www.hovernut.com
John Carter
SEVs: Vanguard, FanTastic, Prospector, Explorer
Others: StarCruiser, UH-18P, RX2000
http://www.hovernut.com

exskimmer

Post by exskimmer » March 10th, 2014, 7:53 am

I have the original 4 blade prop setup, does the ivo prop in the 3 blade 72" setup provide enough thrust for the explorer?

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » March 12th, 2014, 7:22 am

The 4 blade 84" setup is certainly more efficient than the 72",it is quieter too. The 3 blade 84" ivo is quieter than the 4 blade version with the narrower blades.