Planset question

petroni

Planset question

Post by petroni » June 17th, 2014, 5:05 pm

On the Explorer DWG 10 dated 1/22/04 it shows information on a 6 blade fan powered by a 18hp BS on the lower RH corner. Has this design/idea been abandoned? Has anybody made one of these with an EA82?
I assume the idea has been transferred to the TDI…

bphillip2

Re: Planset question

Post by bphillip2 » June 19th, 2014, 1:25 pm

I have never seen the craft built this way. I have seen a second horizontal engine driving the fan(s). What is your interest in a two engine setup? I prefer one engine.

petroni

Post by petroni » June 20th, 2014, 12:10 am

I dont have any interest in the two engine setup either.
A couple more planset questions tho...the skirt fill ports look a lot bigger in the drawing then on your craft in the videos. Was there a size change? They look about 10 by over 20.
Also noted that the relief at the bottoms of the fan duct structure (the kicked up areas in case its dropped in the water at speed) seem to be smaller then on the prospector and on both panels.
And is an 84 inch prop recommended on this model as well?
Thanks

bphillip2

Post by bphillip2 » June 22nd, 2014, 8:01 am

Yes, there were made larger as the skirt filling had a delay that could cause problems on a slope. Feel free to adjust the kick up as you like. You should apply the brake in a rapid slow down instead of just dropping the rear.

I prefer the 84" prop as it is certainly more efficient and quieter, but more costly. You should consult me on the drive ratio and recommended drive hardware.

jchovernut

Post by jchovernut » June 24th, 2014, 12:13 am

The larger skirt fill holes also allow you to crawl into the skirt from the fan bay if you need to access the folding sidebody hardware, flotation, or for repair.
John Carter
SEVs: Vanguard, FanTastic, Prospector, Explorer
Others: StarCruiser, UH-18P, RX2000
http://www.hovernut.com